What are the benefits?
There are many cheap solutions if you want to have a website. But most of them also look cheap, are difficult to update, are not optimised for different devices, don’t perform well in search engines, are often slow to load and are not tailored to the needs of authors. I want to help with all that and improve your website so that it not only looks good on a variety of devices like tablets, phones and desktop computers, but is easy for you to use and a pleasure for your readers to browse through as well. Your website can be linked from your profile on any book selling platform, like Amazon.
Powered by WordPress
The author package is a WordPress website, which is the leading open source content management system used by 15% of all the world’s websites, including CNN and The Wall Street Journal. It is made for content rich websites and people who like words. The package will give you a solid WordPress theme. A theme is the collection of website files that determine the look and functionality of your WordPress website. This theme can be customised to suit your style and content. And if in future you need more functionality adding to your website it can be built on easily without having to start from scratch again.
What is included?
- A WordPress theme tailored for author websites
- Custom design on top of the base author theme
- Installation of WordPress and your custom author theme on your domain and hosting
- User guide to help you with updating the content of your website
The author theme includes:
- a home page with customisable widgets
- a collection for books with an option to link each book to Amazon or any other bookselling platform of your choice
- a collection for reviews
- a blog
- unlimited pages
- a contact form
What is not included?
Cost of domain and hosting
Domain and hosting costs are not included, but I am happy to help in setting these up. Typical annual costs for domain and hosting is around £ 70 depending on domain extension (.com, .co.uk, etc.) and hosting provider.
This will be quoted separately if required. Small additions which can be done in a 4 hours or less will be quoted at £ 50 per hour. Larger additional functionality will be quoted as a fixed price starting from £ 300.
Ongoing help & maintenance
A website is for life and not just for Christmas. And so ongoing help and maintenance is available at a small monthly fee of £ 9.50 paid annually. Many other web offers hide the cost of maintenance. The maintenance package is based on experience of working with other clients. This is what is typically required unless extra functionality is requested.
The maintenance package includes:
- Keeping WordPress and any plugins up-to-date with the latest version which is important for website security.
- Monthly backups of all website content so you don’t lose anything and everything will keep on working.
- Bug fixes for any issues that may arise from an update.
- Up to 6 hours per calendar year of making additions/changes to content and minor functionality adjustments.
Joke has worked alongside me for five years and I appreciate her technical expertise, creative flair, efficiency and affordable ways in which she works to deliver such a high level of professionalism. She understands writers' needs and ways in which we can maximise the opportunities to market our books.— Hilary Robinson, Children's author
How much does it cost?
Timescale is 4 weeks, provided all content is delivered on time and sign off on project stages are done in a timely manner.